Tuesday, February 9, 2016

Blog #1

 Prompt One:
Hello, I’m Breanna.
I’m female, English-Scottish, Caucasian, 20 years old, heterosexual, non-disabled, blue eyes, blondish hair, 5’8 (5'9 on a good day), right-handed, and I wear contacts. I live in Southern California, middle-class, agnostic, in the process of working towards my teaching credential, and I’ve worked at Ralph’s for almost two years (time flies). I would love to move to Washington when I’m older, the sound of rain makes me happy, I love reading and concerts, and I’m very excited for this semester in general. I’m a daughter, a sister, teacher-in-training, and a procrastinator. I’m shy, but that’ll change once you start talking to me. I online shop waaaay too much, I have no idea where I want to get my Master’s, and I love In-N-Out too much for my own good. This prompt has made me realize it’s really hard for me to talk about myself. Now on to prompt two!

Prompt Two:
I’m proud to be able to say I’m college educated. Or rather, I’m proud to be able to say that I go to college. Many people don’t even get the chance to experience college, and I am lucky that I am able to do so. I think it was more of an expectation for me to go to college and get a degree, more so from society than from my parents. But in the long run it will be a positive experience for me, because a) I’ll be able to get a degree in something I’m passionate in (in this case, teaching and psychology), and b) I will be gaining knowledge I otherwise would not have had and experiencing new things that otherwise I would not have experienced. I’m excited to be able to finish my college education and one day be able to say that I have a Master’s in my field of interest (maybe even a PhD, who knows!).
“Other-bodied people” is something I’m proud of being as well. However, some people have different definitions of what that means. But as we discussed in class, what really qualifies someone to be other-bodied compared to someone with a body that fits the cultural standard of beauty? Is “other-bodied people” people who aren’t a size two? Size four? Who don’t have straight teeth and blonde hair? Personally, it’s been a struggle for me. But I’ve been learning to love my body, because body positivity should be something that everyone embraces, regardless of what society says. Every body type is beautiful, and I think we as a society are starting to recognize that more. It’s not only for women, it’s for men as well. I feel as if women have more of the pressure to fit a cultural standard of beauty though, because liked we discussed in class, older men are considered “foxes” while older women are just “old”. Your body is something you should be proud of, and society shouldn’t be able to dictate what is considered a good body or a bad body. There is no wrong way to have a body.

Prompt Three:

An intersection of two of my identities would be heterosexual and white. These two identities are both under the agents column, and with these identities comes privilege. We were also discussing privilege in my education 364 class, and my professor asked if any of us have ever been followed in a store. He identifies as Chicano, and he said he has. He said that people of color tend to be followed more in a store, solely because of their ethnicity. Me being white, I have had the privilege of not being followed in a store, or for being pulled over based on my skin color, when the cops will say I have a “broken tail light”. It’s crazy how much skin color impacts how society sees us. Why does one’s skin color dictate how good or how bad of a person we are? Skin color isn’t an indicator of anything! Unfortunately, that’s not the way society sees it. However, being both heterosexual and white in today’s society, I am considered privileged. My skin color allows me to be able to do things without people getting suspicious of me. One of these things is being able to walk around in a store without the worry that I will get followed around. My sexuality allows me to be seen in public with that person and not get disapproving stares. It’s crazy to think that a decade ago, some people couldn’t marry who they wanted to. Now, anyone can marry anyone. In the future, I think being white and heterosexual will still be considered privileged, but hopefully so will being Mexican and queer. 

3 comments:

  1. We have many similarities in relation to our gender, sexual orientation, age, race, and our location. One thing in regards to prompt one that stuck out to me is how you said youd love to move to Washington sate. Well I can tell you much about Washington this is my home state where I was born and raised until I was 7 years old. Most of all my family lives here still and I enjoy visiting from time to time. All of the green and mountains, sometimes snow if your lucky really is beautiful. Also I love in n out too I always eat the chili's and it make my mouth on fire but clearly I have not learned my lesson because I still do it. I too am proud to be attending college, I will be the first person in my family to graduate from college and a four year university so when I do accomplish that I will be very proud of myself. I have experienced white privilege and this is a topic I discussed in my own blog. It makes me uncomfortable to be treated better or valued more based on something so basic as my skin color. An individuals skin color shouldn't define people but unfortunately society decides what people are able to achieve based on the color of their skin.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Breanna,
    I too am also appreciative that I'm receiving a college education. Not a lot of people have the opportunity to, so we're very lucky people!
    Something that caught my attention was your white privilege and your example of not being pulled over by cops for having a "broken tail light". I'm full Filipino and the crazy thing is this certain incident has actually happened to me about a year ago. I was driving really late at night and I wasn't under the influence. A cop car pulled me over saying I had a "broken tail light". My boyfriend was in the car with me and wanted to take a look at it, but then the cop said oh no it's your license plate light, so we were both really confused as if the cop knew what he was even talking about. He didn't ticket me and let me go and as we arrived to my boyfriend's house we both checked my car and everything was working! At this point, I was very frustrated and felt judged just for being a race of color.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Brenna... I love that you've embraced body positivity at a young age. Many folks struggle with not liking their bodies throughout their lives. Thanks for sharing part of your story with us! Rodger

    ReplyDelete